Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My feathered friends

I just wanted to take a minute and update you on the family of robins that's taken up residence under our back deck. The young are either fully fledged or close to it, and will probably be leaving the nest in the next few days. I guess that's a good thing, since they're just about to outgrow it:


The mother, for her part, still doesn't like me, and at one point this afternoon I actually thought she was going to come after me. Bailey (the wonder dog) pretty much lets momma robin push her around...and after watching the bird sharpen her beak on the fence I can understand why. She can be a pretty intimidating little bird when she wants to be. The father was keeping a close eye on me also, but he isn't quite as bold as the momma. Both of these pictures are of the bird I'm referring to as the mother...


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I don't believe I've ever heard or read the phrase "fully fledged." I get it. I've just not heard it. Granted, I don't read a lot about birds, but still . . . Regardless, here's my bird contribution. We've been feeding birds for a good fifteen years in our backyard. This year, for the first time, we've seen both an oriole and a red-headed woodpecker. It's odd how interesting that is.

    Mr. Bova

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes you wonder if they've been around all those years and just never took an interest in the feeder or if they're new neighbors.

    ReplyDelete