Thursday, November 13, 2008

Points of a Compass

One of the books I'm currently reading is The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. During the first part of the book the protagonist, Edgar, witnesses a disturbing scene between two family members. Afterwards, he goes into the kitchen and describes the silence there. During his description of this, the author, through Edgar, refers to the chairs arranged around the kitchen table as the points of a compass.

This passage is really sticking with me. I think it speaks to the way that this young man orients his view of the world. His direction...that part of his life that provides orientation for everything else...comes from the family that shared meals around that table. The family unit is what Edgar depends on to guide him through the rough spots in his young life.

When I pass a stranger on the street, or a student in my classroom, or a co-worker in the hallway...what serves as their orientation point? What is their compass? What guides them?

What guides me?

No comments:

Post a Comment